OUR TEAM OF LAWYERS AND LEGAL STAFF REPRESENT VICTIMS AND SURVIVORS SEEKING JUSTICE IN LAWSUITS INVOLVING FRATERNITY HAZING, CAMPUS SEXUAL ASSAULT, TITLE IX VIOLATIONS, GUN VIOLENCE AND OTHER DANGEROUS MISCONDUCT IN SCHOOLS
Our lawyers represented the mother of a young man killed by fraternity hazing at Sigma Alpha Epsilon. During the lawsuit we established legal precedent in New York rendering national fraternities legally responsible for the dangerous, illegal hazing by its chapters and members. George’s mother received a confidential multi-million dollar settlement.
Doug Fierberg was the lead trial attorney for approximately 20 survivors or family members of those who died in the mass shooting and gun violence at Virginia Tech. Doug was central in negotiating the historic settlement – valued at approximately $11 Million – constituting millions of dollars compensation, health care for life, and establishment of a foundation designed to make campuses safer. Doug continues to represent the VTV Family Outreach Foundation and the valuable work it performs.
Good Morning America profiles our federal lawsuits on behalf of two Kansas State University Students raped at fraternity events. Our lawyers represent survivors of sexual assault in lawsuits and campus hearings across the country alleging violations of Title IX, civil rights and other state law claims.
Our lawyers have collected tens and tens of millions of dollars in settlements for victims of fraternity hazing, college sexual assault, sexual assault in schools, and other misconduct causing traumatic injury and death. More than 25 years ago, we were the first lawyers to develop this unique, important legal specialty on behalf of survivors, victims and their families. Our lawyers have held fraternities, colleges, universities and secondary schools legally responsible for fraternity hazing, sexual violence, rape, bullying, violations of Title IX, and other violations of state laws across the country. Our attorneys have forced fraternities and colleges to change their policies by defeating them in federal and state lawsuits from New York to California. Our experience and results are unequaled, and we – and our numerous clients – are willing to share these insights with you as you search for qualified attorneys.
We represent families and survivors in federal and state lawsuits involving fraternity death, fraternity rape, fraternity hazing injury, hazing death, wrongful death, serious personal injury, sexual assault, gun violence and Title IX violations. For example, on October 12, 2017, Monica Beck obtained a $1.8 Million verdict on behalf of one of our clients in Federal Court against Chad Curtis, a former major league baseball player (now incarcerated) who sexually assaulted four of our clients in high school. In 2014 we obtained approximately $5 Million in federal court judgments and settlements for young girls improperly videotaped and photographed by their elementary school teacher, enabling them to obtain the quality mental health care they deserve, pay for college, and, for some, purchase homes for themselves and families. We help rape survivors achieve justice in school disciplinary hearings, since these proceedings are pivotal in protecting students and their Title IX and educational rights. As part of our practice focusing on women’s rights, we are defending sexual assault survivors who have been sued by perpetrators for defamation, and filing counterclaims on their behalf to obtain compensation for their injuries.
We have served as lead counsel in lawsuits, administrative complaints, mediation, and school disciplinary proceedings in numerous states, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
We have established legal precedent in numerous states (Federal and State courts), created legacies for our clients, and collected tens and tens of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements against individuals, corporations, fraternities, educational institutions, enablers and con-apologists responsible for harming our clients. “You and Jon were amazing! We had them outlawyered today, which gives us a fighting chance of having it acknowledged that our son died from hazing, and that steps will be taken to prevent others from being harmed/killed. All because of you, Jon and the Team in Michigan and PA!” Surviving Parent/Client, 2017.
Our litigation and trial skills also assist our commercial work, advice and litigation on behalf of individuals, for-profit and non-profit organizations and start-ups nationwide:
- For more than 20 years, we have served as outside general counsel for the Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America (“NACA”), this country’s most progressive, aggressive and successful organization fighting housing discrimination and predatory lending. NACA has made the American Dream of homeownership possible for thousands of working people, forcing banks to commit billions of dollars to end discrimination. See www.naca.com
- We served as lead trial attorneys for Rolling Stone LLC, Jann Wenner and Wenner Media LLC, legendary global media companies defending a $25 Million defamation lawsuit filed against them arising out of an article Rolling Stone published on the subject of sexual assaults at college fraternities. Our work uncovered numerous legal and factual flaws in the allegations against Rolling Stone, and, as a result, the claims were successfully resolved for a small fraction of the damages sought.
- We served as lead trial attorneys for Rolling Stone, Jann Wenner and Wenner Media in defense of a federal lawsuit brought against them in New York by individual members of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. The lawsuit was dismissed.
- For more than 25 years, we have served as general counsel for the International Titanium Association, an association of American and multi-national businesses operating worldwide. See www.titanium.org
- We initiate and defend litigation in Washington, D.C. and Virginia on behalf of Grosvenor Urban Retail, LP, a London-based, global leader in commercial real estate. See www.grosvenor.com
- For more than 20 years, we have served as outside general counsel for Fasano Associates, Inc., a D.C.-headquartered diversified underwriting organization serving the life insurance, annuity/structured settlement, life settlement and related industries nationwide.
Our commercial advice covers a wide-spectrum of start-up, entity formation, operational, employment, management, leasing, litigation, strategic and governance legal issues. And, when conflict cannot be circumvented, we have successfully brought, defended and resolved numerous types of commercial claims, as well as investigative and enforcement actions brought by state and federal agencies.
Un abogado en nuestro bufete, Jonathon Fazzola, está disponible para hacer consultas en español para los clientes de habla hispana. We have successfully represented a number of people who struggle to speak and/or understand English. We have ready access to translators fluent in Arabic, Chinese and Russian. Igualidad ante la ley. 根据法律面前人人平等
More than 20 years ago, Doug Fierberg was the first lawyer to exclusively represent victims of school violence nationwide. As his legal team has grown, we have always believed that giving back is essential. Thus, our lawyers – for no fee - have compelled wrongdoers to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation to non-profit organizations whose missions are to eliminate hazing, sexual assault, binge drinking, and other violence from schools.Read More
"Fierberg is a man of obvious and deep intelligence, comfortable - in the way of alpha-male litigators - with sharply correcting a fuzzy thought; with using obscenities; with speaking derisively, even contemptuously, of opponents. He is also the man I would run to as though my hair were on fire if I ever found myself in a legal battle with a fraternity, and so should you." - Caitlin Flanagan, The AtlanticRead More
The litigation experience of Doug Fierberg paired with the national Title IX movement expertise of Cari Simon make us uniquely effective advocates for people who have suffered rape or sexual assault in schools and universities.Read More
Federal and state courts across the country have admitted Mr. Fierberg to practice before them to serve as lead trial counsel for wrongful death, hazing, sexual assault and catastrophic personal injury cases, including cases filed in Alabama, Arizona, California, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Virginia, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Indiana, Texas, Mississippi, Nevada, Maryland, District of Columbia, and Ohio.Read More